Acidity Effects on Aquatic Plants and Animals:
The amount of acid or pH is extremely critical for all life
forms whether outside of the body or inside of individual cells.
Larger animals are fairly well protected by skin from changes
in acid levels, however inner organs such as digestive, lungs,
and reproductive may be effected by changes in pH.
Eggs, sperm, developing young, bugs, insects may be particularly
sensitive to small changes in pH.
Changes begin to occur as soon as a lake starts to lose it
natural bases or alkalinity.
1. As acids increase there is a large reduction in the number
of zooplankton, phytoplankton, mollusks, and small crustaceans.
2. There is a slowdown in the rate of decomposition of dead plants
3. Fish are directly effected by interfering with their reproductive
4. A calcium deficiency in fish leads to bone malformation.
5. Fish can suffocate as their gills become clogged with aluminum
6. Songbirds are effected by eating insects contaminated with